Urban-LEDS II project implementation: Project countries
The new phase includes the addition of a new emerging economy, Colombia, and the expansion of the project to three new Least Developed Countries (LDCs): Bangladesh, Lao PDR, and Rwanda.
The countries and the cities involved in Urban-LEDS I and II are shown below in different colors.
List of cities per country
Country selection criteria
The following criteria was used to select the phase I countries for the Urban-LEDS project:
- Relevant and growing greenhouse gas emission profile
- General economic growth leading to relevant infrastructure decisions
- Leadership role in the international climate debate and climate negotiations
- Presence of ICLEI and UN-Habitat office and technical staff
- Existing contacts with and openness of national and state governments
- Existing contacts and history of cooperation with national-level networks of local governments
- Has responded to Cancun Agreements by committing to developing NAMAs
- Being involved in the Local Governments' Mobilization and Backing for the Development and Implementation of a Global and Comprehensive post-2012 Climate Change Agreement [ENV/2008/151937] (optional)